April's Favorite Things!!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


My hubby wanted to go get frozen yogurt at Yogel's the other night. I said why don't we just get some organic ice cream when we go shopping later. Then when we got there and we looked at the ingredients we decided we didn't want to do that either. He said, "how about we make chocolate chip cookies?" I puckered my lips and said "hmm, how about gluten free cookies?" He said, "okaaaay," in a hum hawing voice. Now the challenge was to figure out how to do this without buying a package, and it took me a day to get to it.
I have been saving the nut pulp from our nut milks for awhile now. I dehydrate it and grind it into a flour and then put it in the freezer for freshness. I never know what to do with it. They sell almond powder in small packages for a hefty price, so I knew I should keep saving it, especially since mine was from RAW organic almonds and nuts. So here's what I threw together. It's not perfect, BUT it is better than any of the alternatives and is just one more step away from all of the terrible snacks that tempt my family. It's also not raw, but I would have been completely satisfied eating the dough. It was good! In fact that's what I ate. I'm also not a huge fan of the agave anymore, but it's all about transition and if agave helps then we will use it for awhile. I use dates for most everything and I love them. I will probably try them in this recipe sometime.

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/4 cups Almond Flour (mine was a combination of almond, hazelnut, brazil nut, and macadamina nut)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup raw agave syrup
5 tablespoons coconut oil or 5 tablespoons organic melted butter if you don't mind dairy*
1 teaspoon organic vanilla
1/2 cup organic dark chocolate chips (use raw cacao if you are just eating the dough)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
Combine wet ingredients in a different bowl
Mix wet ingredients and dry together
Form balls and press onto an oiled baking sheet (They need to be smashed or they will hold the ball shape)

Bake at 350° for 7-12 minutes
Cool off and serve with some cold nut milk

Makes 12 cookies
OR
even better leave out the baking soda and eat it raw! Whip up some raw ice cream and put some cookie dough crumbles in. MmmmMMmmm, pure heaven.

*If you haven't switched over to buying organic food I recommend starting with your butter and cream (this includes ICE CREAM!) Butter is from the fat of the cow's milk and is where alot of the pesticides and antibiotics the cow is exposed to end up. If you simply switch your butter purchasing habits you will largely eliminate the amount of pesticides you are exposed to.

Stay tuned for my gluten free bread recipe too!

No comments:

Post a Comment